College Park Family Care is pleased to have a Nutrition Services Department to complement our primary care services. Nutrition plays a foundational role in the prevention and treatment of many of the common conditions and chronic diseases that are seen in a primary care setting, including the prevention of diabetes and heart disease. College Park Family Care providers believe the healthcare system should put an emphasis on nutrition when treating and managing chronic diseases. To provide dietary intervention, our well trained dietitian’s are available at all 8 of the College Park Family Care locations for easy patient access.
Conditions we treat
We provide medical nutrition therapy for the prevention and treatment of:
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Celiac and gluten sensitivity
- Crohn’s disease
- Eating disorders: Anorexia nervosa, bulimia, orthorexia
- Hashimoto’s thyroiditis
- Hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism
- Kidney disease
- Multiple sclerosis
- Sjogren’s disease
- Weight loss (medical nutrition therapy)
- Diabetes: Prediabetes, type 1, type 2, and gestational
- Heart disease
- Metabolic syndrome
- Parkinson’s disease
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Ulcerative colitis
Overview of services
The College Park Family Care Nutrition Services department offers individual consultations with a dietitian along with options for classes.
Individual consultations with the dietitian
Initial visits vary from 45 to 60 minutes depending on the diagnosis or reason for visit. An initial visit involves a comprehensive assessment of a patient’s medical, diet, and lifestyle history. It is very important to have a current medication and supplement list available for review at this visit.
Follow up visits vary from 15 to 30 minutes as directed by the dietitian after your initial visit. For best outcomes, bring all diet, exercise, and blood sugar logs to every visit.
Most patients benefit from monthly visits over the course of 3 to 6 months for best results.
Virtual online nutrition classes
With a focus on chronic disease prevention, the dietitian team at College Park Family Care has created a series of foundational classes to equip our patients and their families with updated information and tools they need to reduce their risk for the occurrence — or slow the progression — of chronic diseases.
Cardio-Metabolic RESET: Anti-inflammatory diet and lifestyle strategies to prevent and treat chronic disease
(For patients who have elevated blood fats, blood sugar abnormalities, cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure, prediabetes and type 2 diabetes)
Currently offered: 3rd Tuesday of each month from 7:00 to 8:00pm.
Weight Loss Roadblocks: A practical approach to calming down inflammation and toxicity as a foundation for lifelong weight management
(For patients who struggle with weight loss or maintaining a healthy weight)
Currently offered: 2nd Wednesday of each month from 7:00 to 8:00pm.
Gut Health: Heal your Gut: Heal your body using an anti-inflammatory diet and lifestyle approach to support a healthy microbiome
(For patients with bloating, gas, diarrhea, constipation, heart burn, headaches, skin conditions, mood issues, chronic pain and fatigue and autoimmune conditions)
Currently offered: 2nd Thursday of each month from 7:00 to 8:00pm.
Sleep and Stress: An in-depth look at stress and sleep hormones — with focus on diet and lifestyle approaches to improve sleep patterns and build stress resilience
(For patients who struggle with sleep, fatigue, mood issues and those interested in learning how to support healthy sleep patterns and improve their response to stress)
Currently offered: 4th Wednesday of each month from 7:00 to 8:00pm.
Class information and fees:
Nutrition and wellness classes have been expanded: 5 classes on various topics are now being offered remotely via webinar.
- Offered monthly in the evening from 7:00–8:00pm.
- Approximately 60 minutes each as a live, interactive webinar
- Time is available at the end of each class for questions with one of our registered dietitian nutritionists
Pricing & Registration
- $30 per class
- If registering for five classes, patients receive a discounted rate of $120 (a $30 savings)
- Patients can register for as many classes as they would like each month, or attend one class per month for consecutive months
- Patients can register at any College Park scheduling desk, or by phone call to the Stanley office at (913) 681-8866
- Payment is required at the time of registration
- There are no refunds; if a patient cannot attend their registered class, they can choose to attend another class in the future but will need to notify a scheduler to change their class date
- A receipt can be provided upon request; often times FSA/HSA savings plans may cover the cost for classes since they are provided by a medical office
What to expect
- Once a patient is registered for a class, an assigned scheduler or the dietitian teaching the class will email the patient a webinar meeting link at least 24 hours prior to the scheduled class time
- The webinar email will include attached handouts related to the class
Your doctor may recommended that you see a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN) for medical nutrition therapy a part of your treatment plan. Medical Nutrition Therapy (MNT) can be very effective as a foundational part of the treatment of various health conditions and College Park has a 30+ year history of providing this dietitian service to the patients we serve.
College Park Family Care wants you to be aware of the billing process and your options. Many private insurance companies have specific guidelines for dietitian visits but each plan may vary as to if and how many visits they will cover.
We will do our best to let you know your insurance coverage so you know your financial obligation prior to your visit with one of our dietitians. However, it is recommended that you contact your insurance carrier for your plan specific benefits.
If you would like to verify MNT/dietician coverage with your particular plan, call the customer service number listed on your insurance card. The following information may need to be provided when verifying coverage.
Tax ID # 800505355
CPT Codes: 97802, 97803
Diagnosis Codes: Contact your provider and ask for the diagnosis codes listed in your referral. If applicable, have your provider add a BMI code if your BMI is over 25. This can help with coverage of MNT visits for some insurance plans.